Thursday, January 24, 2008

Buttons Galore


One of the best things about hoarding junk for A Long Time is that I never have to buy buttons. Because I have about 5 million of them, each one a vintage beauty. So when I decided to add that button band to the Just Darling bedjacket, all I had to do was go downstairs, unscrew the lid of a big jar, and grab the first likely lovelies I saw. Initially I put a reverse stockinette roll on the bottom edge, but it was too stiff, so I ripped it out and added some Brioche (my favorite stitch), which is what I also used for the button band. This stitch makes a great edging for a cape: light and fluffy, yet heavy enough to counteract the roll of the stockinette, without the pinching in of normal ribbing. I plan to make two more of these as outdoor wraps in browns and blacks for my upcoming journey to Portland, OR. It's a flattering pattern that keeps you warm without suffocation.

No comments: