
One thing I always keep an eye out for when rummaging through thrift stores is books full of Household HInts. I could just read these hilarious things all day. They're always full of things to do with runned (ran?), ruined, pantyhose (use them to tie up your tomato plants!), and tricks on how to get the most mileage out of a pound of hamburger (add lots of other stuff to it, duh!). I especially like to read them because I keep hoping they'll let me in on the ultimate secret: how to keep the house sparkle-clean without actually having to lift a finger. No luck so far, but I have been converted to the use of vinegar as the ultimate cleaning fluid. These books all realize that hiring a passel of toothless hoosiers is not an option: "cleaners" just get angry if you ask them to please scrub the scum out of the soap dishes next time, and try not to leave mop marks all over the floor. Household Hinters all work under the basic premise of "If you want something done right, do it yourself." This is no secret, but it has withstood the test of time. Unfortunately, it sure cuts into one's knitting hours.
2 comments:
My first visit to your blog and it's charming! If you get the answer to keeping the house sparkle-clean, please post it! (Or sell it on ebay!)
I'm with you and jeanie: Always looking for that Ultimate Secret of a Sparkling House with No Effort. I gotta say, the woman on the cover of your Heloise's looks so straaaaaange! Was there any caption or explanation for her particularly odd facial expression???
Post a Comment