Monday, December 22, 2008

The Gift of Smartness






These are the items I would like for Christmas, from the Montgomery Ward & Co. catalog of 1931. Those mesh bags go for about $350 now. Since these Smart Gifts are so expensive, I'll settle for the gift of smartness instead. This next year is the year I want to be smart enough to set in a sweater sleeve. I can do it no problem with fabric, so I don't know why my brain seizes when I try to do it with knitting. Although, I did just get a really cool book, Custom Knits, by Wendy Bernard, which tells one how to achieve the set-in look from the top down, with picked up stitches and short rows. I'll try that way first and if it works, well then, problem solved. I feel smarter already.

2 comments:

Now and Then said...

OMG - the prices on these so-smart items! I'm an antique dealer and some of my personal favorite things to buy are funky jewelry, purses and compacts. I am drooling over these, especially those necklaces. And that compact on the left!!! And those prices!!!
Sherill

Suzy Rust said...

How fun to be an antique dealer! But how can you bear to sell anything?