Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Last Persimmon


Persimmon trees are the first to lose their leaves in the Fall, and their fruit is quickly gobbled up by critters. Can you see the last persimmon in our backyard tree? (Look upper left...) One sunset last year my husband and I noticed the silhouette of a huge raccoon climbing out on one of those skinny branches to grab a goodie, it was an amazing gravity-defying sight. Persimmons may have lost their leaves already but every other tree in my area is in full psychedelic glory, and yes the sky really is that blue today, no saturation meddling required! My parents and I drove up to the Riverdock Restuarant in Hardin, Illinois for some of the best beef brisket in the Bi-State this morning, and I can't remember ever seeing such mind-blowing Fall colors before. No camera could have captured them, which is just as well, because I forget to bring mine!

2 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

What a gorgeous sky. I love this photo!

Clytie said...

Beautiful photo! I believe it about the raccoon ... we had one at the tippy top of our cherry tree this spring. The little cretin!

We have beautiful colors here too - the best I've seen in years. You're right, the camera has not been built that can truly capture them.