
Grey cats are traditionalists, as my guys Brother (left) and Bigfoot (right) here demonstrate as they prepare for a nap on an ancient crocheted Granny Square afghan (in pure wool) which I found years ago at the Gardenville Senior Center thrift shop in South St. Louis at the end of Kingshighway. This shop, housed in an old school which had been converted into a convenient place for the neighborhood elders to congregate, was open once a week. The building boasted a giant birdcage cackling with macaws and parakeets, coffee makers plugged in everywhere, a free lending library full of dog-eared paperbacks and craft encyclopedias, and a mini Post Office. I found a million treasures here, everything from nickel wave clips to garishly upholstered armchairs. The city has subsequently reclaimed the school for some sort of educational purpose and kicked all the old timers — and their junk — out to the curb. Our loss.
2 comments:
They also had a sweet rooftop garden.
They did! I enjoyed many a Diet Coke out there while basking in the glow of the sun and my thrift stores scores. Now I think the place is just used to teach Bosnian girls how to clean houses in Ladue.
Post a Comment