Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Two Color Peacock Feather Stole



Recently I finished this stole after a hiatus of 6 months. I'll never let something sit so long again: the gauge on the first half is completely different from the gauge of the second half, although I used the same needles and yarn on both halves. But in the intervening months I began purling the way I'm supposed to, i.e. over not under, because I finally figured out that the under throw was screwing up my ktogs, which matters when one knits lace. I blocked the hell out of the first half, but it's still all shrivelly compared to the second half. So I won't be giving this one away. I'll wear it myself, and even cherish it. It taught me four important knitting truths: gauge changes when you do, lace is fun and easy, stitch orientation matters, and grafting isn't hard if you follow the right set of instructions. (I used the ones in the back of Stitch 'n' Bitch Nation.)

No comments: