Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Case of the Envious Thrifter


There was something ironic about buying, at the local Goodwill, a 25¢ paperback whose cover girl personified glamourous wealth. Me in my crummy jeans and hoodie, handing over a wrinkled dollar bill for the dream image of sables, supercilious manicures, and cigarette holders: how I would love to have the high life of a lonely heiress! All cocktails, lipstick, and shoes that cost more than our monthly food (and yarn!) budget. I'd be willing to slog out many more painful reincarnations on The Wheel for just one penthouse-on-the-park existence. The very thought of extreme moolah really does make me want to purr like a fluffy white cat. I'm so shallow.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Some days when I care about how I look, I long for the perfect outfit, purse, jewelery, make-up, shoes....and the perfect place to go.

I totally understand how you feel!!!

But then again, I know we are happy to be schlubs at the Goodwill too!!!

7-letter Deborah, never a Deb said...

Good find--I always like feeling like I'm getting away with something by junking. No one needs to know I only paid $4.00 for a necklace worth $400.

I tagged you for a foodie meme.

Tempest ina Pot of Tea said...

Color me swallow too!

Tempest ina Pot of Tea said...

I am so shallow I can't even spell it correctly!