Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween Costumes




Anyone born too late to directly experience the 70s missed a good laugh. I was 9 in 1970, so my impressionable puberty was spent in this hideously hilarious decade. How well I remember the thrill of visiting Famous-Barr's version of the "Lemon Frog Shop": discothèque balls and psychedelic strobe lights crazed the midnight blue walls as groovy music thumped shoppers into a state submissive enough to crave the ugliest of fashions. I had a zodiac poncho similar to this one from Montgomery-Ward. Here's the 1970 catalog blurb for this style statement: "Poncho power makes itself known, swinging out free 'n wide above teamable pants. Up-dated poncho is circled by horoscope symbols — you're sure to find your own — and deep fringe for finish. New idea is in the sleeves with trumpet flare." Nothing like an early blast of weird to twist you for life!

No comments: