



Here's a list of food I miss most on my gluten-free diet: pizza, egg rolls, and White Castle cheeseburgers. Gluten is the 'glue" that holds breadstuffs together. 1% of the population, mostly those of Irish and Northern European stock (of which I'm both), can't handle the gluten glycoprotein gliadin in wheat, barley, or rye — it scars their innards and causes all sorts of problems. The only option is to not eat any gluten! I've been on a long quest to find a pizza crust that actually tastes like pizza crust. Whole Foods sells a brown rice crust that tastes like chewy Kleenex, and corn tortillas taste like corn tortillas. But I have found one I like a lot, and it's both quick and cheap to make. It's definitely a "thin crust" pizza crust, but since that's the St. Louis style I grew up on, more good!
1 cup whole grain gluten-free flour ( I combine 1/2 cup sorghum with 1/4 cup brown rice and 1/4 cup teff flours)
1 tablespoon freshly ground flaxmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Rumford baking powder
1 egg
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons cornmeal
2 tablespoons olive oil
Preheat oven to 425°. Mix first four dry ingredients together. Separate egg, reserve yolk and add white to water. Whisk till frothy. (The egg white gives the crust pliability without making it "eggy.") Add to dry ingredients and mix till a ball of dough forms. (Add a dab more water if too crumbly.) Add 1 TBSP oil and 1 TBSP cornmeal to cookie sheet, spreading with hands into a circle shape. Put dough in oil circle and flatten, adding rest of oil and cornmeal to top as you smooth and flatten. Bake for 10 minutes before topping. Go wild with the topping! I mix the reserved yolk with the tomato sauce or pesto. Turn oven down to 400° and bake for 15 minutes more, until cheese is golden. There you go. I'd eat this even if I could tolerate gluten. It has a very nice crunchy nuttiness. Now for egg roll wrappers...
1 comment:
Oh, wow! Thank you for this recipe, and for the information. I am also of Irish and Northern European descent. Maybe that's what is giving me so much trouble over the past two years or so.
((hugs)) Thanks again!
Post a Comment