Friday, March 13, 2009

Scorched Earth Policy





It's hard to believe this blackened, frosty patch of prairie will ever be full of flowers and grasses as beautiful as the ones shown here and here and here, but it will, and soon! (The last photo is blurry because I had just picked up my shivering chihuahua before snapping.) Hurry Spring! The kind folks at The Nature Institute, this side of the river's best kept beauty secret, fired up all my weeds yesterday. Fire is Nature's way of fertilizing and revitalizing prairie. Illinois used to be covered with prairie, and is in fact known as The Prairie State, although now those original ecosystems are mostly confined to pioneer graveyards and the sides of railroad tracks. That is sad, but I don't like being sad, so I planted a prairie of my own! Stay tuned for pictures of its fire-revitalized self.

2 comments:

Clytie said...

Yes! I can't wait to see more of the springtime flower pictures! The ones you linked to are absolutely gorgeous! May Spring come quickly.

Beth Niquette said...

I had to go back to see the scorched earth...how stunning to see the difference three weeks makes!