Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Flying HIgh


Whenever I have a big party, I set up the bar first. Then everything else seems to fall into place somehow, and I'm certainly in much better spirits just envisioning the happy whistle-wetting which will soon take place. This year the holiday is at my house. Some time ago, my mother-in-law gave me a nativity set which has 3 St. Josephs, 4 Poor Shepherds, and 2 Baby Jesuses. I turn the extra St. Joes into more Wise Men, and the Poor Shepherds become a crowd scene. But you can't have 2 Baby Jesuses! So I took one manger boy away and put him on the bar between the Tanqueray and the Maker's Mark. His little fists are outstretched towards each bottle, like he can't decide which type of booze he wants to sample first. Bourbon or gin? Gin or bourbon? Sacrilegious, sure, but it makes me laugh. Happy Birthday, Baby Jesus!

No comments: