
I knit this Chistmas hat for someone with a big noggin — but not that big! He'd have to have a head circumference of 29" in order for it to actually fit. The trouble began when I read my swatch as 6 stitches per inch instead of 5 stitches per inch. I don't know how I did that. Wine? Weak glasses? Partly it was due to the alpaca yarn, which looks thinner than worsted. So I had a preconceived notion that it would knit up smaller on #7 needles than my usual wool on #9 needles. It did not! Weird. Blame it on the defenseless yarn! I picked up stitches on the brim, decreased, and added some ribbing. Now I wear it as a snood. If I had 25 pounds of dreadlock to stuff up into it, it would look much better. However: it's soft, keeps my head warm, and hasn't been wrapped like every other hat I've knit this season.
No comments:
Post a Comment