Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Era of Inspiration



In my punk rock youth, I never dreamed that my passions would someday run to fabric and yarn instead of angst and deep dark literature. How granny. Need I say I'm much happier now than I was 20 years ago? One thing I've learned over time is that reincarnation is real. I know this for sure by what I'm drawn to make. I think my last life ended prematurely around 1933, because I love every object, style, and tune from around 1909 to the fatal year. Before knitting stole my brain last summer, I used to be an equally crazed seamstress. I plan to dust off the sewing machine to whip up some springy dresses like the ones above. I found this fashion page at Powell's Books in Portland, which is the best bookstore on the planet. Also, in the bargain bin there, I found a book of poncho and capelet knitting patterns for $3. Ponchos are now way out of style once again, hence the price. But the cute capelet patterns made my fingers itch. Capelets are very Art Deco. Unfortunately, I am a willful soul, and therefore practically incapable of following someone else's knitting pattern. The guidelines within the book, however, helped me come up with a scheme of my own, using the lace stitch patterns Gull's Wing and Razor Shell (see Barbara Walker, Volume I). I combined two different Noro Kureyon sock yarns because I'm on a color jag and don't own size #2 circular needles. Because I had to start right away before the math involved evaporated from my mind, and/or my mother-in-law started nagging me to knit her the scarf of fluffy Pepto-Bismal pink eyelash yarn (gag) she proudly picked out at Yarn Garden in Portland. (I will have it done by Mother's Day, but not a moment sooner!) Stripes are supposed to be a No No in lace knitting. But a No No is just a dare!

No comments: