One of my favorite things to stumble across at postcard shows, flea markets, etc, is old tobacco silks, like the one featured above. These came with the tobacco the menfolk would buy, way back in the Gilded Age. Sometimes the womenfolk would turn them into quilts and such. I haven't touched a ciggie since my wild youth. But sometimes I crave a puff, though I now find knitting much more addictive than I ever found smoking. And it's not as stinky, unless you're knitting up some Rowan "Country," which is by far the most odiferous yarn I have ever smelled. Speaking of knitting, I've just joined ravelry, code name "luckyfind", so hopefully I can steer this blog back towards its intended purpose, i.e. the celebration of junk. I'll bore on about my fiber projects over there, where someone's more likely to be interested!
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Tobacco Silks
One of my favorite things to stumble across at postcard shows, flea markets, etc, is old tobacco silks, like the one featured above. These came with the tobacco the menfolk would buy, way back in the Gilded Age. Sometimes the womenfolk would turn them into quilts and such. I haven't touched a ciggie since my wild youth. But sometimes I crave a puff, though I now find knitting much more addictive than I ever found smoking. And it's not as stinky, unless you're knitting up some Rowan "Country," which is by far the most odiferous yarn I have ever smelled. Speaking of knitting, I've just joined ravelry, code name "luckyfind", so hopefully I can steer this blog back towards its intended purpose, i.e. the celebration of junk. I'll bore on about my fiber projects over there, where someone's more likely to be interested!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment