Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Wildly Unwilling



The last thing I needed to do was to plop (another) box full of books onto the heaps of hoard in the Junk Dungeon. But the Alton Public Library was having a 10¢ sale, so really, how could I resist? All of my organizational efforts have been scattered back into the abyss of chaos as I pour over the dozens of 70s era needlecraft magazines, and re-read old familiar paperbacks like this featured Barbara Cartland. When I was in my early teens, my grandmother Ophelia used to force-feed me this crap. I think she hoped the guidelines therein would help me bag a Belted Earl. Did you know Barbara Cartland was Princess Di's step-grandma? Her daughter Raine snared Earl Spencer, so I guess her man-trap principles worked. But back then I thought the Barbara Cartland heroines were lame. They all had ET eyes and spoke in breathless ellipses: "Oh...my Lord..you shouldn't..." Now that I'm older I appreciate how the ideals of the British Empire are upheld in every story. But "Oh...my Lord...am I hating housework..." I'm sure Barbara never taught Raine how to cook or clean. "Never learn to cook or clean, because then they'll expect you to." The worst part is, I can't even blame the mess on my husband, because he confines his slop to one small corner of the bedroom. Whereas I...

No comments: