Sunday, November 9, 2008

Crinoline Lady


This should not have been a mere $5, hanging on the same thrift store rack as chewed-up terry cloth guest towels and Made In China doilies. This lovely lady is a work of art, and I was super-lucky to score it before some other vulture swooped in. Crinoline Ladies were popular embroidery motifs in the 30s and 40s. The craft and time that went into this is amazing. It needs to be framed. I have severely cut back on my junking sprees, because I just have too much. In fact, I am planning to sort it out and sell most of it at a flea market come Spring. Lately I've been craving a clean, minimalist space to think in. I feel a fairy tale brewing, and when I write a long piece, my brain needs emptiness to sound through, not clutter. But this gal stays!

1 comment:

Now and Then said...

Too bad you're many states away from me - I'd love to get to your flea market sale!