Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Vintage Gourmet


The other day, after actually working hard for 8+ hours, I flopped in our attic den with two gingersnaps, a cup of tea, and some vintage issues of Gourmet, The Magazine of Good Living. A feeling of well-being seeped into my bones as I read letters from long dead foodies requesting recipes from various exotic and domestic locales they had visited, such as Corned Beef Hash from St. Louis's own Chase-Park Plaza. And in the late 60s issues, a column by my hero James A. Beard taught me how to cook standard favorites with flair, like oven roasted spareribs seasoned only with salt and pepper. I explored French Chateaux after touring the attached vineyards and getting slightly giddy in the tasting room. I chatted racing form with barons over Turf Cocktails and fashion with contessas over dainty aperitifs. It was one of the most fun hours I've spent in a long while! As the sheep above shows, there is more to life than yarn. There is also food.

No comments: