Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Old Bag Makeup Bag




Well, this was a time-consuming little bit of fun! I think I may be shedding a crafty skin — all of a sudden I only want to embroider. Knitting seems to be relegated to mere relaxation right now as my enthusiasm for this new old craft takes hold. I have a plan for a series of embroidered masterpieces, which I love so much I don't even want to talk about it, in case "someone" steals the idea. It involves something darkly perplexing I've been collecting for more than 20 years. But that's my only hint. Finishing this makeup bag was a pain, because I tried to put snaps on it, and failed, awfully. Why do directions always make tasks seem so simple and easy? You can follow the how to add snap directions with all of your heart and mind and still not do it right. So after tearing a hole in the fabric rim, I decided to go with a tie closure, to cover up the gaffe. The liner & back fabric is from a horribly poufy, ugly Laura Ashley type dress I found at Goodwill a long time ago. Loved the print, then saw the same exact cloth in a Cath Kidston book! I know class when I see it.

2 comments:

Clytie said...

Hey, how'dja get that done so fast? And so beautifully?

I think you fibbed about the failed snaps. cause I don't think you goof up - Ever! But thanks for helping to make us "creatively challenged" people feel better. :=}

Can't wait to see what your 'mystery project' is! Shame on you for giving us a delicious hint, then making us wait!!! Tee hee.

Suzy Rust said...

Keep 'em guessing! I'm starting my mystery project this afternoon, it's something that's been brewing forever, but I didn't have the right medium. The traditionally female domain of embroidery is it! & Thank you Clytie for the vote of confidence, but I challenge anyone to add snaps to anything!