Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sew Darn Ugly

This has snaps, but that doesn't make it cute!

This has pockets, but they're not cute either.

Even tie-dyed felt can't make this cute, darn it!

It always amazes me how different an actual creation can be from a conception. This needle book was inspired by one I saw in the book Sew Darn Cute, but since I am congentially incapable of following directions, I had to come up with my own version. And it's not pretty. I suppose I could spend more time and make it cuter, add embroidery and such, but I think I'll just write it off as Prototypical Monster and go back to the (pink) cutting board. I'm not scared, because when I first started knitting I made one fugly thing after another. All that practice and horror eventually allowed me to make lace, which is by definition beautiful. So even though I've been sewing since childhood, I evidently need to put in the time to get really good at it again! Because I will upcycle my Catfood Cardboard into something uniquely amazing, or bust.

1 comment:

Clytie said...

Awe, it just needs some bling!!!

Keep on keepin' on, my multi talented friend! I have absolute faith that the ultimate upcycle is going to be amazing.