

Although on my blogger profile I claim to live in St. Louis, Missouri, the true fact is that I now live in what is locally known as "The Metro East." Specifically, Godfrey, Illinois, a lovely area on the River Road just north of Alton. Why do I find that so hard to admit, even to myself? We moved here 8 years ago for my husband's job, and until 2005, kept a small studio pied à terre in South St. Louis, but I haven't actually full time lived in the City of St. Louis since 2000. Ouch. Sure, we're a mere 35 minutes away, but that's not the same as smelling the hops waft over from the brewery on a humid day, or being able to walk through brick bungalow lined streets to the very cemetery where my immigrant ancestors Ermin and Otto lie buried. I love my decrepit native city, and someday we'll move back. But for now I'm enjoying the wonders of nature my present enviroment presents daily, here illustrated by excerpts from a three volume National WIldlife Federation Stamp Album I had the foresight to buy on will call as a broke student in Boston 25 years ago. I saw a bluebird bringing worms to its nest in a bluebird box yesterday while walking my chihuahua through La Vista Park, two more Indian Paintbrushes have sprouted up in the garden, we hear owls having orgies every night, and the Monarch Butterfly's favorite dish, Butterfly Milkweed, is pushing up through the dirt all over the place.

No comments:
Post a Comment