
I've given a lot of thought lately to what I want to do with the rest of my life. The Life could go one of two ways: I could either A.) sit around eating potato chips, knitting, and whining to my blog or B.) get the hell out and learn how to upholster furniture. I've always wanted to learn how to upholster, one of the ultimate transformative crafts. "Upholstery" is one of my all time favorite words. (It sounds like corseted women in Merry Widow hats, or an arcane law.) Fabric makes me happy, especially when it's beautiful. I'm a good seamstress, crackerjack when I have cording and zipper feet that actually work. My years as a nurse have made me adept at both problem solving and cussing. (Because I know there will be cussing, when I sew over a finger, or hit my thumb with a tack hammer, or make a big, dumb mistake.) Yes, I will post about the odd item of junk here and there, and about knits only a mother could love, but this is the beginning of a new, revitalized blog. An Upholstery Blog. Are there any other Upholstery Bloggers out there? This coming year I will chronicle my successes and failures in this new field of endeavor. I have four cat-scratched chairs to work on. O! If I only had pictures to post of the love seat I once slip-covered for my folks. The fabric was yellow, and looked like the exploded love child of Pee Wee Herman and Cyndi Lauper. Very 80s squiggle! But it only cost 54¢ a yard. I hereby vow to only use fabrics I love on my upcoming experiments. I am going to pursue all angles to learn this craft: books, schools, apprenticeships, what-ever-it takes. I even have a name picked out for my eventual business: The Armchair Upholsterer™. (Nobody can steal that name now, because I put a "™" on it! To say nothing of the wrongeful use curse.) Stay tuned for this exciting new chapter!
1 comment:
It looks like The Armchair Upholsterer is wide open. Go for it! http://tinyurl.com/97os93
Post a Comment