




This is going to be my first upholstery project for the New Year. I bought this footstool at the Salvation Army. It was covered in gold naugahyde, which was pockmarked with cigarette burns. The foam inside, of which you can still see a small piece in the first photo (with Bigfoot looking deeply thoughtful), was mostly brown and disintegrating. I plan to paint the frame two shades of off-white, sanding the last coat away from the first in spots for that agèd look. The most fun part about starting my first upholstery project so far? Trolling through reams of vintage fabric, accumulated through years of dedicated thrifting. I decided on this weird early 60s print whose theme I have yet to completely identify. Victorian Early Americana? Bed-warmers, nautical lanterns, clipper ships, love seats, coffee grinders, whiskey jugs and gas sconces: what do all of these items have in common, besides the splatter grey background? I'll use the love seat as the central motif. The cording is already made, which is cheating if I want to learn how to be an upholsterer — the hard thing is to cut your own true bias strips of fabric, and then sew that cotton filler cord cleanly and straightly into the middle! The sewing challenge here will be to follow the inverted scallop dictated by the plywood base. Materials not shown: new clean foam and staple gun.
No comments:
Post a Comment