Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Slipcover Smartness




Evidently, upholstery is a very hot subject in the blogosphere, even more so than amateur knitting, because yesterday my readership jumped from 30 to 300! Wha? I feel like one of the Three Bears: who's been looking at my blog? And for God's sake, why? It's gotta be the new upholstery angle, so for all you porridge-hungry Goldilock eyes, here ya go. The thing about trying to learn any skill from a book, is that the words, if you can decipher them, always make the tasks seem so easy. The instructions never address the slog and hand-eye coordination that goes into mastering anything manual. This Home Sewing book, for instance, makes slip-covering sound like breezy slam-dunk fun, when I know for a fact how hard it is not to make a lumpy mess of things. Sewing, like knitting, is one of those crafts that requires 10,000 hours of practice before the hands and eyes shake on it and make up. But I am committed. I even bought a smelly pink cutting mat and a cool wheely-type cutter. True bias strips? A snap!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I saw this post mixing knitting and slip-covering and naturally thought of your new hobby. :) http://chatrine-chatrine.blogspot.com/2009/01/loose-cover.html