Monday, September 17, 2007

Celluloid Button Brioche Scarf



The muted yet glowing tones of the Celluloid Bubble Top shown above was the inspiration for the colors in this scarf, which was knit using an 80g skein of Paton's SWS in Natural Earth and ~1.3 skeins of 50g Lion Brand Moonlight Mohair in Rainforest. (Cast on 12 stitches using 13/9mm needles then slip stitch brioche to the end of the Paton's) I get a tad obsessive about some things, and evidently the Brioche Stitch has joined the club. All other projects are on hold as I mindlessly knit floofy scarves for all the fall birthday people in my life. Deborah over at Ephemeral Chaos warned me about the perils of ripping out The Brioche. How awfully right she was! I ripped this dang thing down to the cast-on four times before A) I gave myself an extremely stern lecture on getting it together, and B) my fingers finally stopped pleading with me to purl the slip stitch. Because that's when it all goes wrong. And you can't fix it on the other side with a drop and a crochet hook, either. At least I can't. My mind gets too tangled! One reason I never took to knitting before now was because I was sure it was the sole domain of those really bright girls who sail through calculus and smoke hash to help them concentrate. I never knew granny knitters, just brilliant Trustafarian ones. My subconscious said, "You're too quasi-normal to knit!" But I started doing it anyway, and now my subconscious has done a volte-face. Now it commands me to knit. There are two mistakes in the scarf above, but I fixed them both with a tapestry needle and some weaving. Don't tell the cousin I made it for! How did I make a whole scarf with only two mistakes after the first four blood baths? During that stern self lecture (see A above) I vowed to quit knitting Brioche when I was tired, hungry, or drinking Valpolicella. When does she ever knit it then, asks the world.

2 comments:

Ben Stables said...

I came across your blog by Accident but am happy I did, I shall be linking you at some Point!. I love antiquating and love vintage stuff!

Please visit my blog at www.the-listening-tree.blogspot.com

katerina said...

I found my way here drooling over your scarf on Ravelry - it's so simple and beautiful! Have any more pictures of it?