Saturday, September 1, 2007

Postcard Smorgasbørd



I drove all over the Metro East yesterday, to the town (locally) famous for both its giant Brooks Catsup bottle and its International Horseradish Festival: Collinsville, Ills, where the Gateway Postcard Club is hosting a show this weekend at the VFW Hall. The exhibition space smelled like coffee, french fries, and paper. What a lot of postcards! What a lot of serious folks sitting in chairs, looking painstakingly through boxes, as the vendors asked, "Can I help you find anything?" When the potential buyer would say, "Illinois County Courthouses" or something equally as specific (or weird!), the vendor would invariable reply, "Oh yes, those are right over here." Me, I headed straight for the bargain bins. I'm a 25¢ type of collector. And in a room full of $5 cards, I found a real "smorgasbørd" of cheap goodies, like the Lucky Finds above. I think I'm going to start a Smorgasbørd Postcard Collection. Hey, it only takes 2 to get you going! (I wonder when "smorgasbørd" became "buffet"?) Postcard shows are great places to pick up doodads: most vendors sell other ephemera on the side. I got a bunch of stuff for future issues of both Lucky Find Gazette and Blog of Lucky Find Gazette. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Smorgasbord became buffet when the sign painters kept screwing up the spelling of the former!

7-letter Deborah, never a Deb said...

I usually go to that postcard show too. Love those 25 cent bins! I have a modest collection of cheese postcards (10 or so) and a huge collection of leap year postcards (200+), but I can never seem to turn down an oddball one.

Suzy Rust said...

Cheese! I want to see cheese! That sounds as fun as smorgasbords!