Monday, September 24, 2007

Yes, I Can Knit Lace!


The name of this stitch is called "2 Color Peacock Feathers." I found it in a stitch dictionary that had graphs to go along with each word description. Evidently, I'd been reading the wrong books before this one: graphs I can understand at a glance. Maybe because I'm so visually inclined. The graph for this one looked extra easy, and is it ever. Attention is required for only 2 rows of the 6 row pattern. (17 stitch multiple. Rows 1&3: k2, sl1, k1, psso, k1, yox4, ktogx2, k2. Rows 2&4: purl. Rows 5&6: knit in contrast color.) I'm not sure what this is going to be. Some sort of shawl? I'll probably seam two halves together so the Peacock Feathers point in different directions on each side. But it's official: I can knit lace! Of course, when learning anything new, one always screws up at first. Since my Brioche Jag (which shows no sign of going away), my fingers have become accustomed to bringing the yarn forward for ktogs, which messed up the Peacock Feathers drastically until I figured out why there were suddenly 25 stitches between markers instead of 17. The colors are a bit brighter than I normally work with, but they are fun to knit in the morning. Wake up! I found 300g of the (100% wool) Schiaperelli Hot Pink at the Salvation Army for 50¢ ages ago. Then this weekend, Hancock Fabrics was having a 30% off sale on all its Lion Brand yarn so I bought buckets of the Moonlight Mohair (the contrast color above is called Painted Desert), which for some reason I just love. It's half Disco, and skimpy on the Mohair, but it's easy to work with and adds a little fun to all the plain sheep fuzz. Obviously, I'm not a yarn snob. $42 price tags on a 25g skein of Mohair make me feel ill, not covetous. With the start of all these exciting new projects, my poor Mushroom Sweater is sulking, neglected, in a corner — with only two inches done on the first sleeve. I may finish it up by the end of winter.

No comments: