Friday, September 28, 2007

The Science of Boxing


For my husband Buster's birthday, which is today, I bought a complete 1914 set of the Carreras, Limited Cigarette Card series, "The Science of Boxing", similar in style to the card featured above. But I'm not showing them here: you'll have to wait for a future issue of Lucky Find Gazette, probably the long anticipated Issue Thirteen. (Issue Twelve should be up by Monday, but I'm having a really hard time getting anything at all done this month.) (Except starting — not finishing — new knitting projects. Does knitting hit everyone so hard when it first takes hold? I've never been this compulsive about any hobby before, even Suduko! Like the world needs another crazed knitter. Well, too bad — here I am!) Anyhow, Cigarette Cards are in my top five fave ephemera; there's something for everyone, from flowers to fisticuffs. The most brutal card in The Science of Boxing set? It's a toss-up between #43, Paralysing The Opponent's Arm, and #47, The Liver Punch. Not a "sweet science."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got hit hard with the knitting compulsion at first, too! I'm still no good, I forgot how to purl and can only knit, yet I still LOVE to do it!
And congrats on finding something so unusual for your hubby. I always have a difficult time finding genuinely cool stuff for him while junking. Doesn't stop me, though! JUNK ON!

Suzy Rust said...

Thanks, Jenn. Don't ever learn to purl, because then you'll get even more crazed. And then you'll look up at the clock one morning and realize it's afternoon, and there's not a single check mark on the To Do List!