Sunday, September 30, 2007

Levels Of Concentration


Recently I organized my profusion of knitting projects into various Levels of Concentration (not, as some smart-alecky readers might suggest, Levels of Inebriation.) Level One, demanding the most of my attention, is for Lace Knitting.


Even the strain-free lace I'm currently involved with demands some concentration. Maybe more than I'm used to, recently. (I don't need to concentrate anymore because I'm lazily mooching off a hard-working husband for "a while" until fully recovered from many burnt-out years of Registered Nursing — the rigors of which make the most harrowing of knitting problems seem like breezy fun. I really think "employment" counts as one of the major causes of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder!) It's easy, sure, but somehow if I decide not to count between markers on the supposedly brainless knit & purl rows, that's where I mess up. How? Why? I just don't know. But then there I am with my size smaller needle, inserting below and preparing to rip. So I knit Level One in the morning after my first cup of coffee. Level Two is my Crazy Brioche Stripes Galore Gypsy Sweetart Scarf. I change yarn whenever I get bored, which is at least every 4 rows. It's cheerful. I get to use my favorite 9" size 9 bamboo needles on my favorite bits of leftover worsted, and the colors make me as happy as a piece of my favorite candy.


Level Three requires the least concentration: any of the other Brioche Scarves, done on a size 13 or larger needle (because they're for someone else, and I want to get them done fast.) This is the level I sink to when I'm listening to Buster vent about his tough day at the office as I chug Valpolicella. So where does real knitting, like the fabled Mushroom Sweater fit into this schematic? Well. That's a whole other post.

No comments: